Wednesday, May 19, 2010

What exactly is inside that p2 repository?

Wasn't it nice when we were able to point our web browser to an Eclipse update site and instantly see what's in it? Like with this one.


Has it ever bugged you since that this is not possible anymore with p2 repositories? Like with this one.


I've spent some time (with the help of Dave) to add the generation of a similar HTML outline to the new CDO build system. See our resulting p2 repository:

I'd like to encourage you to provide something similar for your public p2 repository. I just added this Ant markup after the site.p2 generation:


The P2Content.xsl file can be found here. If you apply a nicer HTML rendering than I was able to I'd appreciate some hints or snippets.

4 comments:

  1. hi eike,
    I have my updatesites under source-control from EclipseLabs,
    so its easy to point to this repository and to see whats inside your updatesite.
    per ex. for redview 0.7.4:
    http://code.google.com/a/eclipselabs.org/p/redview/source/browse/?repo=updatesites&r=0.7.4+%28Helios+M7%29#hg/redview

    thx for your article - I'll put this link into the index.html of the update-site location

    ekke

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a nice add-on. Feel free to make it available on the wiki page under the Equinox p2 category for ease of tracking.
    We could also probably try to find it a place directly in one of the p2 plugin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a nice add-on. Feel free to make it available on the wiki page under the Equinox p2 category for ease of tracking.
    We could also probably try to find it a place directly in one of the p2 plugin.
    Note that you can also browse the content of a p2 repository using the p2 admin ui available from the equinox download page.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ekke,

    Looks nice, but I'm not sure if I like binaries under source control.

    Hi Pascal,

    I've added a wiki page: http://wiki.eclipse.org/Equinox_p2_Browsable_Repository_Index

    ReplyDelete